Friday, August 23, 2013

My Song

I really love to sing and I just love music,especially worship music! In fact I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't like to sing or didn't like music. It is central to who I am as a person.My family gave me the nickname Tweetybird years ago because I was always singing. I love writing songs, singing songs, learning songs, and playing songs. I am learning more and more that I can rarely pick up my Bible and spend time in God’s presence without having to run to my piano in responsive worship. Music is so powerful and it is something God has given me a passion for and a gift I want to use for His glory.I just think back to a time when I was in highschool in San Diego California and got the opportunity to go to the Billy Graham Crusade at the Padres Stadium with my youth group at the time and as I heard the hymn song "Amazing Grace" written by John Newton being sung by thousands and thousands of people,just how powerful and beautiful that was! We as the body of Christ were singing and worshipping our Maker,the God of the whole Universe and what an amazing sound it was! It is one of the sweetest sounds I can remember ever hearing! I haven't heard anything like it since!
Because music touches something at the core of our being, it should not come as a surprise that one of the names of God found in Scripture is My Song. Found in Exodus 15:2, My Song is a name that Moses used to describe God as he celebrated the miraculous deliverance of the Israelites from Egypt. Can you imagine how his heart must have felt as he watched God turn a massive body of water(the Red Sea) into a walking trail for millions of Israelites so that they could escape Pharoah and the Egyptian army which consisted of over 600 chariots? Moses and his people threw a party on the victory side of the Red Sea praising God through song!

Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the Lord, saying,“I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea. The Lord is my strength and My Song; He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him."(Exodus 15:1-2)

Moses had to sing because his heart couldn’t contain the gratitude and awe he felt for God. He called the Lord My Song. He felt compelled to worship and I totally get that. God had freed His people from slavery performing miracle after miracle so how could they not respond in grateful worship? How could He not be their Song and after all He has freed us from, how could He not be ours, as well?       

The greatest commandment of God to His people is not vague in any way. It is crystal clear. Both the Old and New Testament tell us that the most vital calling in life(your greatest purpose) is to “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment” (Matthew 22:37-38).  
Bam! That’s it. What better way for us to express love to God than by living out a life that sings His praise and features Him as the ultimate object of our desire,living a life that really counts?
I really want to live a life that counts,don’t you?        
I will be the first to admit that my attempts to live out the greatest commandment to love God fall short every single day. I want to love Him perfectly, but I’m just not able to and I want to love Him with all of my heart, soul, and mind,but the reality is I can't because I am a sinner. My love for God no matter how hard I try will ever be perfect because I am not perfect,but He is and because of that He deserves to have my whole heart and my worship! It doesn't seem like much to offer the King of kings in comparison to what He has done for me,but He loves it when we,as His children sing songs to Him in Praise and worship Him through our obedience. He knows we will fail at this,it is why He came to die for us,to save us from that debt that we could never pay. I am so thankful for what Christ has done for me and for His Amazing Grace. He is My Song, so I will continue to raise my voice to Him in praise because He deserves it and so much more!
In Psalm 40:3, King David expressed God’s loving deliverance this way, “He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.”
Has God given you a new song? Give Him thanks and praise Him!
If you had to pick a song that captured your feelings for God today, what would it be?! Mine was Amazing Grace :)

6 comments:

  1. I think mine would be "Bones" by Hillsong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tweety Bird, though you may feel like your worship may fall short, the Bible says that the Holy Spirit speaks for us. I love that you love Him so. I believe He accepts your worship, its sweet to Him

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were even singing when you came out of my womb! May have not sounded like that to the doctor, but it sure was music to my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari Jobe: Revelation Song.
    everything we try to do for the Lord falls short.
    That's why he gave us Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
    Wonderful Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that song by Kari Jobe also Ed :)

      Delete